Branding

This is a debugging block

User Bar First

This is a debugging block

User Bar Second

This is a debugging block

Content

This is a debugging block

Durban Club

Margaret Mncadi Ave, Wells & Ingham, 1899-1904.

The first Durban Club was built in 1855; the existing building is the third iteration. Representative of the architecture of the last decades of Victoria’s reign, the Club draws on ‘free’ classical forms. A tower with a bell-shaped roof terminates one end of the composition characterised by two storeys of verandas, and a curved pyramidal roof atop a Palladian motif the other. The double-volume space of the vestibule and staircase around which the main rooms are grouped, is attributed to no less an architect than Sir Herbert Baker.