Branding

This is a debugging block

User Bar First

This is a debugging block

User Bar Second

This is a debugging block

Content

This is a debugging block

Quadrant House

114-117 Margaret Mncadi Avenue, Ritchie McKinley, 1929-1930.

Appropriately named Quadrant House because of the association with the shape of the site and of a quadrant as used in navigation. Built in the Union Period in the Berea Style, designed on a corner site with wide vistas of the harbour and along the Victorian Embankment.

Original facade includes fenestration patterns, modulations and projections . Overall form is multi-storied with a hipped tiled roof, plastered walls, colonnaded verandahs. Highly detailed with parapets and entablatures balconies and loggias, arched openings, columns and balustrades. The entrance is detailed with timber doors and sidelights, oriel windows. Plastered details include quoins, string cornices, cornices, mouldings, pilasters, entablatures, door and window cases, pediments and parapets, decorative openings to balustrade walls, sculptures, plaques.

Researcher: Lindsay Napier

Photographer(s): Frank Reitz