Branding

This is a debugging block

User Bar First

This is a debugging block

User Bar Second

This is a debugging block

Content

This is a debugging block

Durban Buildings & Architecture

Union Period

The period between the world wars was characterised by architectural change, moving away from traditional design strongly influenced by the British. Classical details were prevalent, but with a South African adaptation of architectural elements that were more appropriate to the climate and context. New materials now included the clay roof tiles, bricks and quarry tiles. These were combined with fine plaster detailing and classical colonnades. The Period includes the Berea Style, which is influenced by Spanish Architecture, Art-Deco and International styles and detailing. The period also saw the development of an Indian vernacular in the mixed-use Indian owned commercial buildings, incorporating colonnades, arched verandas and classical columns.

Researcher: Lindsay Napier

Photographer(s): Dean Jay Architectsc/o Harber and AssociatesFrank Reitz

Addington Children’s Hospital

Between Princes Street to the West, Erskine Terrace to the East and Beach Avenue to the South, Addington, Chief of the Public Works Department - J.S. Cleland, 1929 -1931.

Lion Match Factory

892 Umgeni Road, Stamford Hill, Ing & Jackson Architects, 1925-1927.

Quadrant House

114-117 Margaret Mncadi Avenue, Ritchie McKinley, 1929-1930.