This major temple was built in 1947 to replace the original structure which had been destroyed by flooding. It is elevated above the Umbilo River and overlooks a fire-walking pit located on the same site. The deities were crafted by sculptors from India and are truly magnificent, although recent renovations detract from their original splendour. The impression of horizontal stratification, required for South Indian temples, was achieved by using two different tones of facebrick. The temple usually has a priest in attendance who is very willing to assist visitors.